To renovate or not to renovate? This is the question that crosses the minds of many Australian property owners looking to sell. Here at Abode Real Estate, we have assisted countless clients buy and sell properties all over Perth’s western suburbs. We would now like to share our knowledge with you—below we have weighed up both the pros and cons of a property renovation before sale.
What to consider before renovating
Before jumping straight in and starting a property renovation, there are a few contributing factors which should first be considered. Key elements to think about include the location of your property and the current market.
- Location – the suburb your Perth property is located will significantly contribute to how long a property spends on the market and the price it sells for. For those properties located in highly sought-after or up and coming areas, buyers are more likely to be interested. This a common circumstance that can lead to property owners opting against renovations.
- Property market – It’s also essential to do your research into the current property market to decipher whether it’s worth spending time and money on property renovations. If the current market isn’t favourable, it may be a wise idea to take some time to complete repairs or renovations. You could then list your property for sale at a time when the market is more favourable.
Pros & cons of a property renovation before selling
If you are still undecided on whether or not you should renovate before selling your Perth property, it’s important to weigh up the pros and cons of each. Some of these will include:
Pros of a property renovation
- Adds value to your property
- Your property may become more competitive in the market & sell quicker
Cons of a property renovation
- Renovations can be both expensive & time-consuming
- There is a risk you may not make the money back when selling
What you should definitely do before selling
Even if you decide against a property renovation before selling, there are still a few must-do home improvements you should make time for. Some of these tasks include:
- Clean up & declutter
- Fix up any minor defects such as chipped paintwork
- Tidy up the front garden, sweep paths and ensure the street number is visible
Ask Abode Real Estate
When it comes to buying and selling throughout the western suburbs of Perth, the highly skilled and experienced agents at Abode are here to assist. We hope this summary has helped you decide if a property renovation is necessary. If you would like more advice like this, please get in touch with our Cottesloe team today on 08 9381 9111.